Pregnant couple with doula at home

I was in Tara’s class in the fall of 2016. I was about 4 months pregnant with my first child and planned to have a home birth. Anyway, I wanted to thank Tara for the knowledge she shared with my husband and me and to describe to you my birthing experience just to highlight how much this course helped me.


After Tara’s class, I listened to the hypnobirthing as well as hypnobabies CD’s consistently in the evenings. Close to my due date one evening, I felt something similar to a dull pain in my back that came in waves. My mom pressed on my lower back when the waves started to get a little more intense. At this point, I still thought that perhaps my body was just practicing for actual labor.

In any case, I found it helpful to pop in hypnobirthing and hypnobabies tracks just to practice relaxing. The surges continued to be very mild and I felt so calm that I had no problem telling my husband to go ahead and leave to play volleyball with his friends.

That night, I fell asleep to my hypnobirthing and hypnobabies tracks. I woke up once, recognizing that my surges felt a little stronger, but then quickly fell back asleep. It wasn’t until my water broke that I awoke fully. My husband called my midwife immediately. She reminded us that the labor would start to intensify, but she urged me to try to sleep through it, because she said the next day would be a long one. She asked Eric if my contractions were becoming painful. I hadn’t experienced any contractions as painful so much as uncomfortable so we told her no. She then assured me that she would be at my house in the morning once labor had progressed.
An hour or so after that I started to vomit, which I remembered learning from Tara could be a sign of transition. It was just so soon after the surges had begun to intensify that it didn’t make sense to me that it could be a sign of anything. Other than the vomiting initially, I felt fine. Nonetheless, we called my midwife again and let her know what was happening. Again she asked if my contractions were painful. Again, I was able to tell her that they were not so she said to go back to sleep.

About 20 minutes later, I definitely could not sleep through the surges. I went to the bathroom with my computer so I could continue to play my hypno tracks. I moved around and sang through my surges. After some time, I decided to get in the shower. Our plan was to have a water birth, but at this point, our midwife had said to wait on setting up the pool, since it would be a while before we needed it. I got on my knees in our bathtub and continued to sing through my surges. Sometimes, I felt like there was a longer break in between them so I experimented with standing up and then kneeling back down to relax my body. It seemed to work and every time I did that my surges would get closer together. I felt really good! I was excited but in a strangely calm way. At some point, I felt like my body was taking the reigns and I had no control of the frequency of my surges. They just all felt very close. Nonetheless, the hypno tracks helped me practice joy and gratitude. In fact, I felt very capable of having a conversation between the surges, but there was no one in the bathroom to talk to. My husband was busy calling people and calming my mother down.

At some point, I noticed that my body seemed to be pushing with more urgency and I couldn’t sing through surges quite the same way that I had up until that point. Again, I remembered the class and how Tara had described this natural pushing our bodies would begin to do. I realized that I was probably bearing down, which was a little shocking because it all seemed to be happening so fast. Now I really needed the pool! At this point, I asked my husband to set it up.
What I thought I said was, “Eric, can you please get the pool ready so that I can continue labor there? I’m concerned I might have this baby in our ceramic bathtub.” What came out of my mouth, according to my husband, was, “Tub. Tub. Tub. Tub.”

At some point, my sense of urgency despite my inability to articulate myself spurred my husband into motion and he quickly pumped up the pool and filled the tub with a few inches of water. Without delay, I put my feet in only to discover that the water was COLD! Apparently, at that very moment, our shower ran out of hot water. It was the one moment where I no longer felt so calm. I became very conscious of the fact that I had a choice. I could choose to put myself back in a calm state or I could lose it. I decided to focus my energy on my sense of gratitude that we were having a baby. After telling my husband that the water was cold, he began racing downstairs to heat water in the kitchen and racing back up to put the hot water in the pool. He barely had time to let my midwife know that the baby was definitely not going to be waiting several more hours to be born.

After a few minutes of pushing, my friend who was supposed to be my doula arrived. She made her way to the doorway. I greeted her and then continued letting my body do its thing. I could feel my baby’s head and my skin stretching around him. I remembered what you said about the ring of fire so when I started to feel the burn, it actually made me very joyful. It meant my baby was going to arrive very soon. I also remembered that you had said to put some counter pressure on the perineal tissue to slow things down a little bit and prevent tearing, but really, I didn’t have much choice in the speed of his arrival. My body gave one last push and suddenly I went from feeling a head to seeing a little white body moving under the surface of the water.
But my midwife wasn’t there, my doula was in shock and my husband was in the doorway with another kettle of hot water. No one had prepared me for THAT possibility. I went ahead and lifted my little baby out of the water myself and that was that. My three hour labor ended and a whole new relationship with my little son began.
Oh, and my midwife did show up 20 minutes later.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this to show how indispensable your help was. Since then, I have had a second baby and I was equally reliant on remembering everything from your course to make that a calm birth as well.

I wish you continued success and hope that you continue to impact other women’s lives as much as you have mine.


birth story 3
Front-end Developer

So we had our little munchkin finally. Our daughter Isabella was born on the 2nd of January at Banner Ironwood. And what a beautiful birth it was and it was thanks to the lessons we got from your Hypnobirthing class. She was born using hypnobirthing but I always knew I wanted an epidural.

After my water broke my contractions came fast and I used the breathing techniques to ease the pain. I was mentally preparing for a long night of laboring, I had my audio material with me and a folder with all the affirmation materials I needed to use as a mantra through it all, however, my daughter apparently was eager to come into this world as I was feeling her head within 2-3 hrs of checking into the hospital.

Now I have to mention that I was planning on getting an epidural from day one and since I was dilating so fast I ended up getting it sooner than I had anticipated. When I was in the active labor stage I breathed my daughter out. My mother-in-law who was with me during the birth later told me that she didn’t think I was pushing when the doctor told me to and was surprised when they placed my baby girl on my belly.

“In fact she complimented me on a most lady-like way of giving birth. This is when I told her about the Hypno Birthing classes we had attended.”

I want to thank you for all the advice you gave our birthing partners too. My husband did a phenomenal job and was my rock. Even though I did not have a natural birth I benefited from the lessons learned and for a lack of a better word customized it to the outcome I had envisioned for my child’s birth. So for all the cynics I just would like to say …” don’t knock it till you try it!”

Tara’s Comment: I love how this mom’s story shows that you can benefit from HypnoBirthing AND get an epidural. The two are not mutually exclusive. The relaxation techniques taught through the HypnoBirthing program are helpful no matter what your birthing goals are.

birth story2
Police Officer

My husband and I are happy to announce the birth of our daughter, Ella McCall. She was born on 01/01/17 at 5:29 am at Banner – University Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ and was a VBAC HypnoBirth. She weighed in at 7 pounds 12 ounces and 20 ½ inches long. I was 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant when she was born. Our plans for the evening of 12/31/16 were to hang with our neighbors, put our toddler to

sleep, have my husband massage my feet and do a relaxation exercise before bed.

“Me, my husband and our son got into bed to read bedtime stories. I took a picture of the three of us just in case it was our last picture as a family of three.”

While we were reading, I felt a gush of fluid. I got up to check and at first, I thought it was just pregnancy yuck. The gush happened again. When I checked the second time, the fluid was yellow. I told my husband my bag of waters had burst and the baby had pooped (meconium). I had been having surges throughout the day and they had gotten stronger that evening. My surges were coming about 2 ½ minutes apart. I called my mother to watch our son and off we went to the hospital.

I would like to say the staff at Banner – University Medical Center was fantastic. Our triage nurse understood we wished to have a no medication vaginal birth using Hypnobirthing. My first child was delivered by Cesarean in 2014. I switched to a doctor who specializes in vaginal births after Cesareans (VBAC). We were perfectly matched with a nurse who is known for her skill with no medication vaginal births. Once in my labor and delivery room, we were greeted with a Hypnobirthing sign on the door and dimmed lights (I meant to take a picture of the sign). While in triage I was listening to my birthing affirmations, along with birthing affirmations I had my godmother record (she has a very soothing voice). My birthing affirmations kept me focused when other things happened in the room. I remember shaking my head and saying okay as if I was responding to the affirmations.

I started getting tired and the surges were very intense compared to my first birth. With my first birth, I labored with no medications for approximately 18 hours. I remember thinking there is no way I can go 18 hours with the type of pain in was experiencing at that moment. I broke and told my husband and friend/doula I wanted an epidural.

“He suggested I allow my labor nurse to check to see how I was dilated. I agreed. When she told me I was 9 cm, I got a second wind.”

They were awesome in reminding me an epidural was not a part of our birth plan. I think was tired and hungry, so I began to get mentally tired as well. My husband and friend/doula kept me on track. Even my labor nurse would not let me go against my birth plan. She was encouraging but firm at the same time. My husband reassured me I was doing great. He suggested I allow my labor nurse to check to see how I was dilated. I agreed. When she told me I was 9 cm, I got a second wind. During my first birth, I stayed at 6 cm forever and a day. A short time later, I began to get the urge to push. My doctor and nurse told me to listen to my body. After 30 minutes of some good pushing and awesome coaching from everyone in the room, I delivered my daughter. It was truly an amazing experience. An experience I would not have achieved without my husband, my friend/doula, my doctor, labor nurse, Hypnobirthing education and lots of support and positivity.

Tara’s Comment: I love how this mama listened to her body when it came to pushing. She followed the lead of her body and pushed when she felt the urge to push. It is so wonderful that this mama had an OBGYN and nurse that supported her and encouraged her to do this! 


birth story

Welcoming our little angel baby into the world!!! Scarlett Rose was born on Friday 3/31/17 at 3:44 pm, weighing 5.4 lbs and measuring 19 in long!! 👼🏼🌹

“I am so happy to report that I hypnobirthed all naturally at home just as planned.. Only she arrived a little earlier than expected!!”

She was 3 weeks early.. a big surprise to me as a super healthy first-time mom!! Luckily she is perfectly healthy and well, perfectly perfect in every way in my opinion, Lol!

My water broke and woke me up at 4:24 am on Friday. Contractions began right away and were consistently 2-6 minutes apart for several hours. I remained calm, ate, read a chapter of a book, and practiced my hypnobirthing techniques. It made all the difference in the world!

My amazing midwife Jetta Anderson arrived just before noon and I was already 5-6 cm dilated! I continued to Labor both in and out of the water. Scarlett’s little hand was up by her face so she crowned about 10 times over an hour and a half period before she finally made her full debut at 3:44 pm in the comfort of my own bed!

We couldn’t be more thrilled or more in love with our little bundle of joy!! We attribute our wonderful natural home birth to the teachings of Tara and could not be more grateful for everything you taught us!!!

Tara’s Comment: Even through baby having a hand by the face and crowing multiple times this mama used her training and made it through!